Saturday, May 17, 2008

BACKACHE after YOGA!


I am having backache now. After doing this...

Camel Pose

And this!!!


Bridge Pose. From the first pose, I had to position my feet (which were apart) together and slowly stretched my legs to the front, thus making a full bridge pose.

It isn't easy at all when you have tight hamstrings. It might be easy for you but it's the other way round for me sadly. If you are never guided by a trained yoga instructor, you could end up with an injury to your hamstrings and worst of all, your back!

I am beginning to fall in love with Yoga. Yoga is a science that was developed in India thousands of years ago. It is the oldest system of personal development in the world, encompassing body, mind and spirit. What most people refer to as simply "yoga" is actually Hatha Yoga. Hatha Yoga tries to achieve balance between body and mind, as well as attempts to free the more spiritual elements of the mind through physical poses or Asanas, breathing techniques and meditation. There are other types of Yoga too and one of them is Kundalini Yoga. It is considered by many cultures that the life force within us that can be awakened. It concentrates on chakras in the body to generate a spiritual power. I guess Naruto also practice this kind of yoga? LOL. Seriously, I do not enjoy Kundalini at all as it requires some chantings and singings which give me goosebumps!

Here are some of the postures that are practiced in Hatha Yoga. Click to enlarge the pics. =D

Abdominal Massage, Backward Bend, Boat Pose, Bound Angle Pose

Bow Pose, Bridge Pose, Camel Pose, Cat and Cow

Child Pose, Cobra, Corpse Pose, Seated Cross Legged Position

Downward Facing Dog, Fish Pose, Half Locust Pose, Reclining Hand to Toe Pose

Locust Pose, Mountain Pose, Hero Pose, Seated Forward Bend

Head to Knee Pose, Seated Wide Angle Pose, Shoulder Stand (Inversion), Spinal Twist

Forward Bend, Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining Bound Angle),
Triangle Pose, Upward Facing Dog, Wind Relieving Posture


I think I have tried half of the above postures already. I will try the Cat and Cow pose more! Why? Because this sequence is made up of poses that will improve your core strength and help flatten your abs! Yeah! I wanna have nice abs! If and only if I have a strong will power. LOL.

Well, one of the hardest pose that I have YET to try is the HEAD STAND! No courage to do this kind of outrageous stunt yet. For those who can do this, a salute to you, my friend! =P


Step by step guide on how to do head stand pose.

I was searching for more info about my new hobby and guess what? I found these! I didn't know they even sell this! LOL.

Yoga Pig doing Cobra Pose.

Plough Pose.

Scorpion Pose. Any pig pose perhaps?

Who wanna be a yoga instructor for Piggies? You can help to produce high quality lean pork! Grab these cuties here.

** Remark **
Photos with copyright notations are courtesy of the Help for IBS, Kripalu Center and Santosha.

2 comments:

wyenn said...

lol, i think corpse pose is good, suits me more.

Anonymous said...

Love the pigs! Revolved head to knee pose is my favorite. It really helps with my scoliosis. I found Leeann Carey has a great free yoga video on modifications for this pose. I thought your readers might want to check it out: http://planetyoga.com/yoga-blogs/index.php/free-yoga-video-revolved-head-to-knee-pose/